[ale] Two console users on one system--is it possible?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 29 09:41:35 EST 2003

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> There is no content in that paragraph, or I'm too stupid to see it.
>
> I'll try one more time.  In the section InputDevice it says:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>      Identifier "Keyboard1"
>      Driver "Keyboard"
>      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
>      Option "XkbLayout" "us"
>      Option "XkbOptions" ""
> EndSection
>
> So, which is the keyboard device?  All it says is 'Driver "Keyboard"' which
> does not tell me which device (and I mean linux device as in /dev/xxx) it
> is.  If I knew how to distiguish two keyboards into two differenct
> InputDevice entries then I'd be able to use X as you suggest.

I (finally) understand what you mean.  I believe this entry is the
default for the standard keyboard.  If you're going to use a different
device, you can add it as:

Option "Device" "/dev/input/keyboard0"

Or whatever.

One quick note, I did a search on google and found a reference to a guy
who's doing exactly what you want to do.  I didn't read the whole link,
but here they are:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1/
http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/

Of course if you get this working, you will be required to do a
presentation on it at one of the ALE meetings. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...