[ale] More info on Lan Browser in Konqueror showing machine names not on LAN

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jan 29 09:27:30 EST 2003

I can't swear to this, but I'll take a look tonight when I get home.
Sometime back, I started seeing these hostNNN-null.null entries on the tcp
dumps on my home lan.  Did a little exploring, and iirc each box (approx.
6) on my NAT'd, internal lan resolved to these values, each with a
different number after the host.  My DNS servers are hardcoded in
/etc/resolv.conf to use Bellsouth's DNS.

You might try switch /etc/nsswitch.conf to resolve to your hosts file
before trying to query DNS.  That might get rid of these.

Kinda interesting, as I'm assuming these hostNNN names are being returned
from Hellsouth's DNS servers, but I would think with NAT that to the
servers, all queries should look like they're coming from the same host.

Don't know what they're doing on their end or if it's something I'm doing
on my end that would cause this, but just an fyi.  If you run tcpdump on
your router and then try pinging from different machines on your internal
lan, you should see your outgoing packets identified by different hostNNN
numbers.

John