[ale] OT: Squandering thousands in one step...

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 29 01:23:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, John Wells wrote:

> Any precautions I should take?  Anything in particular I should check or
> be wary of?  Everything seems to be running fine right now, and I assume
> that since it was off I probably avoided any damage, but for peace of mind
> thought I'd pose the question to the group.

Check the floppy drive (make sure it can read and write disks which other
systems can then read and write). The lap top I'm typing this on (old
Compaq) has been through a lot, including two warrenty screen replacements.
I dropped it from a cable car in San Francisco once, and the floppy has never
worked right since then. It can read and write disks as long as I format and
mkfs them, but they're not compatible with any other system b/c the heads are
misaligned ;-)

Of course, I never actually use floppies, so its not that big a deal. At any
rate, it's something to check which is easy to overlook

later,
chris