[ale] CUPS & Open Office

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 28 21:17:52 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:36:31PM -0500, Jim wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 January 2003 07:05 pm, Jim wrote:
> > In some other posts recently, somebody insisted setting up a printer for
> > Open Office was easy with CUPS. Remind me of how easy it is. I have a
> > printer set up and working fine with CUPS. In Open Office, I use spadmin to
> > add a new printer. I import the ppd file that CUPS is using and tell Open
> > Office to use that printer. I go to print a test page and nothing happens.
> > I look at print admin in the CUPS interface and no job exists. What now?

Ok, I just downloaded and installed OOo, because I didn't have it at
home.  After the user setup, I started Writer, typed a few words, and
clicked File->Print.  The page printed fine, without my having to do
anything to setup a printer.

> So far, this is what I see as command line output if I try to print a test
> page using spadmin:
>
> connected to 'localhost'
>  requesting printer EPSC62 at localhost
>  job 'rebus at localhost+938' transfer to EPSC62 at localhost failed
>   error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
>   sending str '^BEPSC62' to EPSC62 at localhost
>  error msg: 'spool queue for 'epsc62' does not exist on server
> localhost.localdomain'
>  error msg: '   non-existent printer or you need to run 'checkpc -f''
>
> Of course, hte printer does exist and it works fine if I print from a KDE app
> or use "kprinter -stdin". But that command fails if Itry to use if within
> OpenOffice. Any ideas?

Can you print from a non-KDE app?  Is it a PostScript printer?  If so,
try printing a text file with enscript.  If not, try using lpr to print
a text file.

How did you add the printer to CUPS (script, KDE gui, web interface,
etc)?

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9