[ale] Internet via modem

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 09:26:58 EST 2003

Da Splinter <da_real_splinter at yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm converting a friend to Linux but I have only one problem, what
> ISPs, software, etc available in Linux via modem?  She's only on the
> internet no more than a few hours a month and is looking for an
> equivalent to Juno, free for less than 10 hours of internet surfing.
> I've personal only used cable and dsl.  Any help will be great.

Wow. This post has to mark some kind of turning point in
telecommunication history :-) "I've only used cable and
dsl." Sheesh.

To answer your question, essentially all dialup ISPs will work
fine with Linux. It may be a minor challenge to configure, but
nothing horrible.

The real trouble is probably going to be finding a modem that
will work. You need a "real" modem, not a "Win" modem. Best bet
is to get an external modem, one that hooks up to the PC's serial
port. That would be virtually gauranteed to work. Look for the
words "Hayes compatible" on the modem box.

Cheers,

-- Joe