[ale] httpd behind pppoe - solved

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Tue Jan 28 10:32:30 EST 2003

For anyone who might be in a similar situation...

Environment:
  HellSouth DSL
  Westel (Westell?) DSL modem
  PPPoE
  dhcp

Backstory:

I originally used the modem's PPPoE client. The Westel was configured to
NAT incoming port 80 to my Linux firewall listening at 192.168.1.1 which
has Apache running in reverse proxy mode to feed my real webserver.

This just didn't work. Data coming back to the browser was lopped off
randomly and unpredicatably.

Many helpful folks suggested dropping the MTUs. I did that (with several
MTU sizes) on all six boxes in my network but it still didn't help. Data
was still being truncated.

Solution:

I finally put the DSL modem in bridged mode and fired up Roaring Penguin
PPPoE on my Linux firewall. All boxen MTU are set at 1412 (recommended by
RP). Everything is working perfectly fine.