[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 28 09:48:49 EST 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Since all of you are using Linux in production, I love hearing your
> examples such as the one below on neat ways to help yourself.  Since
> I don't have a truly production level Linux machine, I admit to very
> careless handling of my personal data on my home Linux box.  Many
> Linux users may act in this way thru either bad training on Windows
> (expecting to lose data and try undeletions) or just lack of
> understanding the Linux/Unix way of sysadmin practices.

I think both issues come into play.

> Now here is my real question: Why not use CVS and the rsync idea
> together?  Wouldn't that give you the redundancy and source code
> change tracking that you need?  I haven't used CVS hardly at all and
> never have used rsync so am looking for some wisdom from the wise.

I think the main problem with this is that, you would still have to make
sure you backed up cvs, or have it reside on another box.  I routinely
cross copy stuff so that I have redundant images on two different boxes.
  I also make the critical backups though.

> I love the rsync/cron job idea.  Sounds like that would be a nice way
> to implement mirroring your home directory among several machines.
> How could you combine that with the CVS home directory tracking idea
> presented many many posts ago by someone smarter than me?  What would
> you do?  An initial checkout from the main repository.  As you work
> the rsync/cron job backs you up to two or three different drives in
> different time delays.  Sounds complicated but is actually trivial in
> practical scripting.  Is it worth it?  From a production standpoint?

I think there was an article in Linux Journal on this subject.

> Or are there better ways to do it?  At the end of the day you checkin
> your changes and the rsync/cron could dup your repository to another
> machine. Dow

Automation is the key. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...