[ale] RH 8.0 won't recognize my NIC

Cameron Childress cameronc at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 28 07:41:50 EST 2003

> Is there any output in the logs referencing the devices?

I got an offlist message to a similar effect, and this is what I replied...

Ohhh...  yeah - it's something about the irq settings I think.  After
running dmesg, I found the following lines useful:

ohci1394: pci_module_init failed
PCI: no IRQ known for inturrupt pin A of device 00:0b.0. Please try using
pci=bioirq
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xc384d000 00:09:5b:09:1c:9b, IRQ 0

Looks like it's picked up a valid IO, and the MAC addy, but can't assign it
an irq for some reason.  Unfortunately, I am still not aware of how to fix
the situation.  The bios in this machine is old as poo - wonder if that has
anything to do with it?

I also ran modprobe, though I have a feeling I don't yet understand the
commands, because it just paused and returned nothing.  I did, however, run
lsmod, and natsemi is listed as a loaded module.

Got any additional pearls of wisdom?

-Cameron

Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc.