[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Jan 27 23:53:12 EST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 18:16, Jason Day wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:17:45PM -0900, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:46:39 -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > >So apparently there is a way to convert the ext3 back to ext2 (either by
> > >renaming the filesystem and claiming that it is ext2 - which I believe
> > > was my "mistake") or by reformatting ext2 and recovering the data from
> > > there!
> >
> > Quoting from a RH manual:
> > Reverting to an ext2 File System
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm not sure why you would want to do this.  Ext3 is forward and
> backward compatible with ext2.  If you want to revert to ext2, just
> change the fstype in /etc/fstab and remount, or reboot if you changed
> your root filesystem.  You can even recompile your kernel, removing ext3
> support, if you wish.  It will still work.
>
> I'm also not sure what this has to do with recovering a filesystem...

Ext2 is easier to undelete. I have only met 2 people that say they can
undelete ext3 (I am sure one of you will throw in your hat now - but you
weren't to be found when I was ranting about losing data that I didn't want
to lose) - whereas even I undeleted from ext2.

--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown