[ale] Re: [ale-admin] can't seem to post.

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Mon Jan 27 22:48:13 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:20:18 -0500, Ben Coleman wrote:

>This seems to imply that mail from the ALE machine to my domain is
>being dropped for some reason.  I did move my dynamic dns service from
>hn.org to zoneedit.com 3 days before ALE mail stopped, so it's possible
>that a communications problem between room17.com and my new zonedit DNS
>servers is keeping the ale mail servers from picking up the proper MX
>for my domain and hampering delivery.

Since I brought this up on the list, I'll note that my real problem
appears to be somewhat related to the possible problem I noted here.  I
checked my old hn.org dynamic DNS account, and noted that it didn't
contain my current IP address, although I still have the update
software configured for it on my machine.  I corrected it, and now I'm
seeing my missed ALE messages come back in.  Either Chris fixed
something simultaneously with me doing this, or whatever DNS servers
the ALE mailing list uses to resolve mailing addresses still point to
the old hn.org nameservers for my domain.  Its been long enough since
the changeover that they should have long since dropped out of DNS
caches, so I'm not sure *why* it is picking up the old nameservers (I
understand some services periodically pull the major GTLD zones and
host them locally to speed up lookups - maybe this is being done and
the .net zone hasn't been pulled since my changeover?), but that does
appear to have been the source of my latest ALE delivery problems.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at