[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 27 22:29:17 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 20:31, Geoffrey wrote:

> I agree with you Jonathan, too many folks don't take the correct
> measures ahead of time.  As for my recent exploits with recovery tools,
> I've had one in the recent past.  Once when I deleted a source code file
> after a days worth of work on it, thus my backup would do me no good.

I have a "HOT" directory for works in progress files. This is where I am
actively writing code. It is backed up automatically by a 2 minute cron
job running rsync that puts the synced files onto a separate hard drive.
It is set to not delete if the file is missing. If I goof, I have a
backup that is two minutes old. If I goof and overwrite an existing
file, I'm hosed. I could probably do an archival of files before any
changes of size X, but I haven't looked into it.

> > 1) "Magic undeletes"
Useful for work stations where the users has a greater opportunity to
muck things up.

> > 2) True "bare metal restore" capabilities via boot disk or write protected
> > boot partition.
>
> I like it.  Quite valuable.

Totally invaluable. Hard drives die. Bare metal recovery is a mandatory
function. There are some really good one out that can make a boot CD
that pulls from a tape backup.

> > 3) Better forensics tools.
>
> I want them even more.  I think these would be more valuable.

Great to have not just when a file is accidentally deleted, but also
deliberately from a PO'ed user, or some cracker who just weaseled their
way in through a hole that Bugtraq doesn't have yet.

 This is a digitally signed message part