[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Mon Jan 27 20:03:46 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Jason Day wrote:

> Just because you had one bad experience that happened to involve an ext3
> filesystem is no reason to abandon ext3.  Do you have evidence that the
> filesystem itself is what caused the corruption?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I have an interest
in digital forensics and filesystem recovery due to my insatiable appetite
for all things related to computer security. But I can't help but wonder
if I'm the only one still performing any sort of backup. I have
accidentally deleted files on darn near every filesystem that's been used
in my lifetime, and the very last thing that crossed my mind at any point
was recovering the file from the disk. In today's world, backup solutions
are abundant, affordable and easy to make use of. Have I ever deleted a
file that I could not restore from backup? Many times. Did I recover all
of them? No. Have I ever made the same mistake twice? Uhh, yeah...I
confess. I'm human. Do I think that *nix systems are somehow inferior to
others because it does not anticipate my mistakes and make adjustments for
them? Hell no. I'm not criticizing anyone for debating the issue. I feel
it is definately worthy of debate. But I must ask, which solution would
you consider more valuable to the Linux community?

1) "Magic undeletes"

2) True "bare metal restore" capabilities via boot disk or write protected
boot partition.

3) Better forensics tools.

--
Jonathan Rickman