[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 27 19:16:52 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:17:45PM -0900, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:46:39 -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
> >So apparently there is a way to convert the ext3 back to ext2 (either by
> >renaming the filesystem and claiming that it is ext2 - which I believe was my
> >"mistake") or by reformatting ext2 and recovering the data from there!
>
> Quoting from a RH manual:
> Reverting to an ext2 File System
[snip]

I'm not sure why you would want to do this.  Ext3 is forward and
backward compatible with ext2.  If you want to revert to ext2, just
change the fstype in /etc/fstab and remount, or reboot if you changed
your root filesystem.  You can even recompile your kernel, removing ext3
support, if you wish.  It will still work.

I'm also not sure what this has to do with recovering a filesystem...

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9