[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery (semi-OT)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 27 14:29:23 EST 2003

D. Alan Stewart wrote:
> It's been a long time, but my memory is that deleted files could be
> recovered on the Vax operating system. I would bet that most mainframe
> operating systems had some type protections against accidental file
> deletion. Of course DOS had undelete and the Mac has had the trashcan
> since day one. *nix operating systems are the only ones I am personally
> familiar with (which isn't saying much) where deleting a file is a
> single, unrecoverable step.

I'm afraid that is inaccurate.  There are various tools that permit the
retrieval of deleted files on UNIX boxes.  The primary example which has
caused the most stir on the list is with deleting files on an ext3
partition.  Apparently there is no easy way to retrieve a file in this
situation.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...