[ale] semi-useful bs

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 27 14:23:45 EST 2003

Just thought I'd pass along some useful junk I use when doing things
with CDRW's... I never could remember the syntax of these commands so
I've collected them into a file that I refer to when I need to do
something like backup of my data.

[robert at linux robert]$ cat cdrwbackup.procedures
#
# CDRW backup procedures and other useful commands
#
# Become Root
 su root
 cd /tmp

# Check to see which SCSI device we're using
 cdrecord --scanbus

# Erase the existing data
 cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 blank=all

# Build the ISO image
 mkisofs -v -d -D -l -L -N -r -R -V "Robert's Backup" -o /tmp/robert.iso
/home/robert

# Record the CDRW Disk
 cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 dev=0,0,0 /tmp/robert.iso

# To read the max write speed:
 cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -atip

# To Duplicate a single CD from the cdrom drive to the cdrw drive
 cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -isosize /dev/hdc

# To copy a cdimage to a file for writing later
 dd if=/dev/hdc of=/tmp/file.iso
 dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/tmp/file.iso

# To mount the iso file
 mount -o loop /tmp/file.iso /mnt/temp