[ale] A licensing question...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Jan 27 10:09:46 EST 2003

Michael D. Hirsch said:
> On the far extreme is MySQL's interpretation of the GPL.  They claim
> that  running a program that interacts with their GPLed MySQL server is
> "linked"  with their server and must be GPLed.  I don't think that has
> been tested  in court, and I don't even think it would hold up in court,
> but there it  is.

Ouch.  Had no idea.  I guess I understand that they have to make a buck
like everyone else, but I thought their business model was built up around
support and advanced features, not squeezing licenses out of companies
that are adept enough to administer their MySql servers themselves.

I'm all for giving them their due, though.

I think it would have a hard time holding up in court, but ianal.  Seems
to me that they should release under their own license, and not the GPL,
if they intend to hold to this interpretation.

Who knew you needed a law degree to develop proprietary apps with OS
components? ;-)

I'm using Postgresql in a proprietary app currently.  I wonder...

<off to read the postgres docs...>

Thanks,
John