[ale] OT: Router for sale

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Jan 25 19:14:59 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 02:24, Mike Panetta wrote:
> That would work except for 2 problems...
>
> 1. The current produced by using a multimeter in "Continuity" mode (its
> really a real low ohm setting, with a beep) may very well be enough to
> kill the IO lines of todays 3.3V (or lower) processors.

Who made the Multimeter that your using and how many decades old is
it...?... No multimeter I use is gonna put out anywhere near the
amperage necessary to smoke a chip. Voltage is harmless when amperage is
low (Basic physics...). All modern multimeters use extremely low
amperage with very long wave forms.

On as side note, if the amperage is high enough, less than .5V can kill
a person or even an elephant. Electricity can kill if the amperage and
the voltage is low, but the current is at the right frequency.

> and...
>
> 2. The chip is more then likely a BGA package.  Have fun finding the
> pins on that one...  Not all boards have one VIA per pin for BGA
> packages, it may not be necessary for the particular layout of the
> board.

Back when those things were made, BGA packaging (As far as the number of
lines that could pick/place BGA) was limited. At that time, BGA was used
when thermal was an issue. With this processor,thermal is not an issue.
Look at the specs to the chip. Further, the chances are it's not a BGA
unless is was manufactured before 24 months ago. The facts are that less
than 5% of all silicon produced before about 24 months ago was packaging
other than BGA. Even today, less than 9% of all silicon produced is in
BGA packaging.

This is the sector of the business where I make my living. I would never
give out advice like I did if I even remotely thought it would harm
someone else's property.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens

 This is a digitally signed message part