[ale] Volunteer work for non-profits

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Jan 26 00:01:50 EST 2003

The answer is probably in many layers:

1.  All PC's given to kids *have* to be the exact same, else the kids start
whining over "Why is Susie's PC bigger/bluer/smaller/etc etc than mine.  So
standardization is req'd in some aspects of their operations.

2.  More games on PC's. (I dunno, I just made this up).

3.  It's a M$ world.  I know that this is a poor forum for pointing out this
fact, but a fact it is.

4.  Their website says kinda that they are open to Linux provided that they
have the things many small businesses need. i.e.:

Why doesn't Free Bytes offer updated versions of Windows on their PCs?

Free Bytes 'can' distribute copies of updated versions of windows
(preferably Windows 95b), provided that the original license for the
operating system is donated with the PC. The original license is the
"Certificate of Authenticity." If your are in an office environment, the
network administrator may have a drawer full of them.

Otherwise, as a non-profit, Free Bytes is only authorized to distribute
copies of Windows 3.11 and earlier. While it is not the latest software out
there, it is perfectly suitable for the database management, word
processing, and spreadsheets that are the greatest needs among non-profits
requesting computers.

So, I think that they are open in many respects, but you have to be mindful
of reality.  I dunno, you would really have to ask them.  However, Windows,
in some cases, runs on old stuff better, since it is not as strict as a *nix
on stuff (read M$ has lower reliability standards.

Greg Canter