[ale] First time trashing Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 25 21:49:18 EST 2003

Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> I can get Tom's disk. My wifes machine has linux as well. Is this it?
> http://www.toms.net/rb/

Yes.  He has versions that will build from both windows and real OS's.

Also the errors taken from the boot.log are:

> /etc/rc5.d/S13partmon:line1 /usr/bin/partmon: no such file or directory
>
> /usr/sbin/fndsession:line12:perl: command not found
>
> /etc/rc5.d/S85numlock:line25:setleds: command not found
>
> kheader: /ect/rc6.d/k20kheader:line1dirname: command not found

Are these all of them?  You're missing partmon and perl???

Are there any errors regarding the filesystems in the log files?

This is too wierd.  I don't understand how installing some software
package could touch all these files.

I would get toms r/b, boot with it.  From there you can mount your
filesystems and do some research.

Thing is, this is probably not something for someone who is new to Linux
to be doing. :(

Do you know if you have multiple partitions?  You probably do if this is
a Mandrake install.  You'll have to figure out which partition is the
/usr slice if you have multiples.  First thing to do once you get it
booted with the boot disk is:

fdisk /dev/hda

You can then record the number of filesystems, sizes of each and type.
 From that info, it should be pretty easy to determine where /usr is,
which is the filesystem that's apparently having problems.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...