[ale] A licensing question...

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 26 12:13:17 EST 2003

"John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com> writes:

> Bob,
>
> My main concern was using script libraries that were GPL'd.  For example,
> if there was a php class library (all just scripts) that was called
> FooBarLib.
>
> If I use any of the classes from FooBarLib in my script, say by including
> the script file, then creating an object of one of the classes and
> invoking a method, then my script has to become GPL'd.
>
> >From the GPL faq:
>
> "Another similar and very common case is to provide libraries with the
> interpreter which are themselves interpreted. For instance, Perl comes
> with many Perl modules, and a Java implementation comes with many Java
> classes. These libraries and the programs that call them are always
> dynamically linked together.

That strikes me as a rather odd use of the phrase "dynamically linked".
IMO "dynamic linking" carries a very specific connotation of "binary
linkage at the object-code level", not merely "my script causes the
interpreter to interpret part of your script." Though I suppose that
at an abstract level the two are analogous.

Cheers,

-- Joe