[ale] [Fwd: RE: MS SQL WORM and PORT 1434!]

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Sat Jan 25 20:18:10 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 05:33:32PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> So I'm curious as to why you have so many hits and I have so little.  I
> assume these are not residential connections, and they are possibly
> advertised servers on them?  Maybe the worm is hitting more well known
> subnets.  Likely BellSouth more so then, say my smaller ISP Speedfactory?

Perhaps.  I'd think it unlikely, though, that this is the reason. Since
the worm is propagating via MS SQL server, it's less likely to hit
address books and the such than if the worm were propagated via Outlook.

I'd expect that I'd have twice as many hits since I have two interfaces
facing the internet... at least until DTV cuts me off.

>From Symantec: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sqlexp.worm.html

    When W32.SQLExp.Worm compromises a machine it does the following:

        * Uses the Windows API Function, GetTickCount, to generate
          a random IP address to which to send the malicious packet
          containing itself.
        * Repeatedly sends itself to all generated IP addresses, to
          UDP port 1434 from an ephemeral source port.

    W32.SQLExp.Worm will continuously send packets to different
    IP addresses, effectively performing a Denial Of Service Attack
    on the host on which it is running, as well as the hosts to which
    it is attempting to connect.

BTW, as of this writing, I've had 733 attempts on port 1434 from
548 different hosts.  The last attempt was at 20:10. So it's still
actively spreading.

Enjoy,
    - Chuck

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."

 PGP signature