[ale] A licensing question...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Jan 25 19:26:05 EST 2003

Bob,

My main concern was using script libraries that were GPL'd.  For example,
if there was a php class library (all just scripts) that was called
FooBarLib.

If I use any of the classes from FooBarLib in my script, say by including
the script file, then creating an object of one of the classes and
invoking a method, then my script has to become GPL'd.

>From the GPL faq:

"Another similar and very common case is to provide libraries with the
interpreter which are themselves interpreted. For instance, Perl comes
with many Perl modules, and a Java implementation comes with many Java
classes. These libraries and the programs that call them are always
dynamically linked together.

A consequence is that if you choose to use GPL'd Perl modules or Java
classes in your program, you must release the program in a GPL-compatible
way, regardless of the license used in the Perl or Java interpreter that
the combined Perl or Java program will run on. "

Thanks!
John