[ale] Web Server Questions

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 25 12:40:10 EST 2003

Hi all,
	I have a few questions related to setting up a LAMP platform.  The
questions mainly pertain to what versions of the software are considered
the most stable/secure.

1. The first is what distribution should I used for the base platform?
What version?  I'm partial to gentoo myself, but I'm open to other
suggestions.

2.  Should I use apache 1.x or 2.x?  Should I rpm, apt-get, emerge, or
compile from scratch?

3.  As far as MySQL I thinking the latest stable version would be fine,
Comments are welcome here as well.

4.  PHP/Perl plugins for apache are available, what versions are
considered stable/secure?

Thanks for any info.

Calvin...