[ale] SuSE 81 review, kinda...

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Jan 25 09:55:49 EST 2003

Speaking of our girl SuSE, has anyone tried SLES7 or 8?  I'm looking at upgrading my primary server (file/print/dns secondary) from SuSE Pro 7.3 to either SuSE Pro 8.1 or SLES8, but I've had no prior experience with SLES (Can you even upgrade a Pro 8.1 to SLES?)

On the bright side, I've done three Pro 8.1 new installs.  The installer has gotten better, but still tends to trash itself on complex disk management.  (putting lvextends before the lvcreates and can't create new lv, both a symptom of not recognizing you wiped the partition table and started over).  The new installs are a GBTon faster then 7.3, I'd guess since all the rpms are compiled 586 (instead of 386), and the kernel optimized for my CPU (Athlon).  One low end install went to a HP Vectra PPro200Mhz w/96M.  Gnome actually comes up and the box is functional.

Now, on to finish my latest distro install....PC-DOS (ick!)

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith