[ale] Re: Linux + barcode scanners

Robert Gash gashalot at gashalot.com
Sat Jan 25 00:24:59 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:54:53 -0500, H. Bieber was overheard saying:
| <snip from no linewrap>

Most of the barcode scanners that you can find will come with a
variety of input options.  Aside from serial scanners, these almost
always work with Linux.  Scanners equipped with keyboard wedges
(inline interfaces that sit between the keyboard and the pc) will
appear to the application as typed input.

I've only used one USB scanner, but after reviewing a number of
hardware offerings I obtained a Unitech MS210 USB scanner.  RedHat
installations detect this as a normal HID and it can operate alongside
traditional keyboards or other USB input devices.  Input appears to
applications as typed input.

If you're interested in finding out more about hardware, you may wish
to speak with the folks at POS World, they offer a wide variety of
equipment, they're local, and their website is very informative.
http://www.posworld.com/

-R

Robert Gash, gashalot at gashalot.com
(Web) http://gashalot.com/