[ale] SuSE 81 review, kinda...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 23 10:47:34 EST 2003

I've got to say, I've been playing with SuSE 8.1 lately.  It is quite
sweet.  I picked up the Personal version and installed it on 5 machines.
  I've since picked up the Professional and am currently installing it
on another.  So far it's been pretty flawless.  Two problems I have run
into:

1. When installing on a box with an older trident card, I could never
get X to work.  This happened with Mandrake 9.0 as well.  Doing a bit of
research, I found a link off the XFree86 site referencing another driver
and noting that xfree 4.2 has problems with some trident chipsets.  That
driver works like a charm on two different trident cards I previously
could not get working.

2.  When installing on a box with an S3 trio3d card, SuSE 8.1 Personal
set the driver to "Vesa".  I don't know if that was intentional but
again, reviewing the XFree docs, they say that chip requires the S3virge
driver. Once I made this change, that box is working like a charm.

Waiting to see if my IEEE-1394 (firewire) card is recognized. ;)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...