[ale] Making sense of the Java mess....

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jan 23 09:12:25 EST 2003

In my current position as Systems Analyst, I do quite a bit of Java
programming.  Unfortunately, most of the technologies we're currently
using are antiquated, with the few Servlets/JSPs I do maintain/develop the
closest thing to "newer" technologies.

While I have experience and some understanding in J2EE, I'd like to bring
myself up to speed.  Besides J2EE, I'd really like to get into some of the
some of the other cool technologies (Jakarta comes to mind...struts,
etc.).

Problem is, where to begin?  I'm not one to enjoy reading online
tutorials, and the ones on sun's site often fork into others (i.e., you
read half-way through a chapter and they say "wait, you need to go read
the java beans guide before you continue").

Is there a good book out there that provides an introduction encompassing
most of these technologies?  If not, what would Ale'rs recommend as a good
starting point or learning path?

Thanks,
John