[ale] Swap in use when free physical exists?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jan 22 14:32:52 EST 2003

I have noticed that quite a bit of my swap space is in use a lot of the
time, even when there's a bit of space left in physical.  Course, I've
only about 6 megs left in physical, but I would think it would take
advantage of those before filling swap.

-)free -m
Mem:           247        240          6          0          5         94
-/+ buffers/cache:        140        106
Swap:          509        107        402

Is it something regarding page size or is a problem with my kernel?  I'm
using  2.4.18-14.  Thanks!

John