[ale] A licensing question...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jan 22 11:47:18 EST 2003

I was wondering what the licensing issues for app frameworks (or any
included classes/libs) for scripting languages are.  I'm creating a rather
large PHP application for a company, and they'd like to potentially resell
it to some of their customers.

Can I safely use GPL'd libraries, classes, etc. (i.e. PearDB) and
resources that fall under other open source licenses when developing the
app and let them redistribute these third-party resources with the code I
develop, or would that be a violation?  If so, could I get around this by
only distributing inhouse code and requiring any customer to install the
relevant libraries on their server?

It would seem to me that since it's a scripted application, I'm
effectively providing the source as well, so it wouldn't be a problem.
However, would I be forced to license the entire application under the
GPL?

Also, thinking ahead here a bit, if they wanted to use something like Zend
Encoder on the project...or at the portion I developed...what sort of
added gotchas could that bring up?

Thanks guys!

John