[ale] building a Linux lowend web browsing station

Benjie Godfrey bgodfrey at layton-graphics.com
Wed Jan 22 11:28:17 EST 2003

This should be an easy task.  A customizable distro such as Debian or
Slackware can be installed on a single machine and imaged with a utility
like partimage ( http://partimage.sf.net.) Once the base OS is installed
the network and X can be configured ( I am assuming various video and
network cards.)  That would be the most time consuming part ( about 5-10
minutes per machine.)  I would recommend running a light-weight window
manager such as Windowmaker or Blackbox, and Phoenix ( a stripped down
version of Mozilla) as the browser.  Alternatively you could run with no
window manager and run just the browser.  That would make it harder for
someone to goof the system.

Benjie