[ale] [OT] Sendmail (?) woes

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 00:48:05 EST 2003

Keith Hopkins <hne at hopnet.net> writes:

> Joe wrote:
> >># who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> >>DMmydomain.org
> > Tried that, restarted sendmail, and still the same error. My
> > sendmail is definitely *not* masquerading as "earthlink.net",
> > even though I've changed "DM" to "DMearthlink.net".

Sorry, I mistyped; that's really "DMkneuro.net". Whatever...

> Hi Joe,
>
> Two questions:  What is the "Dj" (domain) setting in sendmail.cf, and how is that host's entry in /etc/hosts done?

There is a commented-out "Djmydomain.com" line. The comment above is,
"Only uncomment this if sendmail can't determine the proper domain
name". Well, that seems to be the case, so maybe I need to use
"Djkneuro.net"?

Re. /etc/hosts: it's empty, except for an entry for
localhost->127.0.0.1. This machine is running a forwarding DNS server.
It resolves names for the internal "localdomain.private" domain, and
forwards everything else to my ISP's DNS server.

Thanks,

-- Joe