[ale] Remote X and Mozilla Profile Behavior

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Jan 21 23:01:00 EST 2003

As my machine-hopping mojo improves, I've noticed that if I ssh -X from one
machine to my usual desktop machine under my regular user account to run
Mozilla, all my Mozilla bookmarks, saved usernames, etc. have vanished and
Mozilla acts like it has never seen me before.   I've poked around in the
Mozilla prefs and the ~/.mozilla directory and it's really not clear to me how
or why it's separating me out as being any different from when I log on locally
when I log on remotely.  What's up with this?

Part of the reason I care is that if I were someday to create a "Mozilla app
server" I'd want people's Mozilla profiles to be called up properly no matter
from which machine they're sitting.

- Jeff