[ale] Re: e-commerce

Robert Gash gashalot at gashalot.com
Tue Jan 21 18:20:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:15:49 -0500 (EST), John Wells was overheard saying:
|  Very light weight?  Hmm.  Php (esp. mod_php) can handle some pretty heavy
|  tasks.

Yes indeed, PHP is very fast, and quite capable of supporting large
enterprise applications if the solution is architected properly.  If
my memory serves me Yahoo! is beginning to use PHP internally instead
of their home-grown scripting language.

By calling PHP "lightweight" I am referring to the footprint that it
requires on the server, which, compared to J2EE environments or .NET,
is very minimal.  For web scripting PHP is a very good choice --I have
used it for years-- however if your application needs to reach beyond
the web tier you should seriously consider your alternatives.

-Robert Gash