[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 21 10:03:26 EST 2003

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> By reading our two messages I can see that the difference is that I think
> the computer should adjust to the human, and you think the human should
> adjust to the user.

Not necessarily.  My point is, the computer world already trashes the
English language, it should not be continued by bastardizing the term
'remove.'  So maybe we another command called 'af' (archive file).  As
I've noted in other posts, there are safer alternatives to cli 'rm'
command in the various desktop solutions.  That is what you're looking
for and that is what folks who are not technically oriented should use.

I was pissed the first time I did an install and tried using the rm
command only to be prompted with:

'rm: remove regular empty file `foo'?'

Damn right I want to remove the file.  The dist had aliased rm to
'rm -i'

My point is, I'm all for making computing easier and safer for the
common man/woman/child.  But, don't create confusion by changing the way
a command works.

> Once again, to anyone following this debate, I heartily recommend the book
> "The Inmates Are Running the Asylum : Why High Tech Products Drive Us
> Crazy and How To Restore The Sanity" by Alan Cooper.  It goes into detail
> about how engineers have trained themselves (or come by it naturally) to
> think like computers and design their programs for themselves.
> Unfortunately, most people don't think that way and end up very frustrated
> with computers.

I agree this is a huge problem.  I see it as well.  But it often times
goes the other way.  As in:

Are you sure?  No, Yes
Do you have a note from your mother?  No, Yes
Place note on scanner please. continue

Grant it, I'm being a bit humorous, but you know what I mean.  As I've
noted, there's a need for balance.

> I think UNIX is a classic example of this.  It is incredibly powerful and
> robust, but apparently very difficult for most people to understand.  Why
> they don't understand it is a mystery to me, too, but I'm one of those
> wierd software developers who is part of the problem in the first place.

Here, here!! (me too)

> Cooper makes a strong  argument, and I agree with him, that we developers
> are caught up in the mindset from the 60s that we CPU cylces and disk
> space are precious, and that it is more important for a program to be
> efficient than easy to use.  Modern computers, with cheap memory and rapid
> CPUs, are not constrained that way, but we still act tlike they are.

I don't necessarily agree with that.  You can right code that is
efficient, yet still is useful and robust.  Just because hardware is
cheap doesn't mean we should waste cycles.  Making a program user
friendly is not a waste of cycles.

> Any design which ignores the human element will lose the popularity contest
> to one that doesn't.  So, as a user, given two computers one of which does
> offer undelete and the other which doesn't, of course I'll choose the
> former.  I'll even think that the other one sucks.

I agree there is a need to consider the human element.

I don't think it's an issue of providing such functionality (undelete)
as it is properly training a user.  Just as my lawnmower warns me around
the housing 'DANGER' we need to enlighten the user, and also provide
them the tools to do what they need to do safely.  I could very easily
stick my foot under the lawnmower, ignoring the warnings.  I get what I
deserve for being careless.  Point is, I don't want my wife using the
'rm' command.  Use the desktop (removal/archive/recycle) solution.

> Given two chainsaws, one of which will cut off my toes if I'm not careful,
> and the other with Toe-Cutoff-Prevention (TM), which one would you pick?

Depends on how really useful the safety feature is.  In this example, it
sounds like it could be useful, but on the other hand, if it takes you
30 times longer to do the job with that one, I'd choose the other,
insuring that I was careful while using it.

Chainsaws are a good example.  You can purchase a low kickback chain for
chainsaws, but they dull quite quickly.  I buy standard chains, and am
just extra careful.

> I'm not going to continue.  I don't think either of us could say anything
> we haven't already said.  Please, read the book.

Probably true, but I think we are closer in mind then most of my posts
might seem to indicate.  I'll certainly check out the book, I've been
wanting to read something new lately.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...