[ale] running two X servers

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Jan 21 00:14:41 EST 2003

Another option, if the machine is on a trusted network and you want to
dodge some of the overhead of encrypting the session through ssh, is to
use the -query flag with X.

Switch from your current wm to a console (a la ctrl+alt+f1), login, then
type:

X -query RemoteHostnameOrIP :DisplayNum

On my home network I use this quite a bit.  For instance, I'm currently on
my 172.16.2.4 box, but also have a gnome-session up from my 172.16.2.8,
which I started with:

X -query 172.16.2.8 :1

One thing to note...you need to be running something that support xdmcp to
use this method.  If you're using gnome and gdm, you simply need to edit
gdm.conf and set Enable=true under the XDMCP section.

John