[ale] DSL SwitchOver Results?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jan 20 23:42:56 EST 2003

Speakeasy seems to have been a decent choice for me and I have been up and
running with them for exactly a  week now. It took about three weeks from
order to operational, though that period included the x-mas and new year
holidays; email status reports arrived almost daily throughout that time.
Near the end I did have to fall back to dial up service for about 4 days,
though the fault appeared to be with Bell$outh: I was in the UPS shipping
window for the DSL modem when B$ pulled the switch before receiving their
final go ahead. The short of it is that the switchover and install went
pretty smooth, but I'll be really convinced after I get my $200 equipment
rebate.

I've also had a couple of email and voice contacts with tech support and
the folks have been pleasant, helpful and informative. Emails received
replies within 24hrs. The worst case hold time on the phone queue was
about 6 minutes, though I have to add that the hold music was a much
better mix than any I've heard elsewhere and was never interrupted by the
customer abuse of hold time commercials or self promotions. (Their phone
automation recordings are done by a woman with real pleasant Australian
accent, too).

Caveates include missing the nicer web interface account controls that DTV
had. Getting my secondary (family) email addresses set up meant sending
an email to tech support. They were very prompt in responding and setting
up the other 4 package accounts, but I did have to hunt through their Q&A
web pages a bit to ascertain the correct procedure.

My B$ lines have prooven a bit flaky, so I also miss the way the DTV DSL
gateway provided operational stats and test functions through a local IP
address and HTML pages. The Zyxel Prestige 600 series DSL modem sent by
Speakeasy does not seem to provide any monitoring or report access for
the user. The Zyxel 641/645 model's I used with Earthlink DSL (way back
when)  had a serial terminal for monitoring and firmware updates, but
this newer unit doesn't have any ports past the slots for phone and
ethernet connection.

I'm also not sure getting the account running would have been a "Self
Install" if I wasn't a pseudo informed Linux geek. No hard copy setup
instructions related to Linux came with the "Self Install Kit"; only a "3
step" cardboard foldout for brain dead Winblows eXPloited victims plus a
small manual with properly detailed install notes for various Winblows
excretions as well as Mac and MacOSeX. The Speakeasy account pages do
have some clearly noted and decent online instructions for configuring
Linux Dial Up and DSL. Likewise, the IP and DNS info needed to set up the
connection was only posted via web account pages but never sent in the
status emails. The absurd but increasingly common catch 22 here is that
the user needs online access to get the required info or help pages for
configuring their online access. :-P

My last little whine point is that the Tech Support email addresses aren't
published or noted, so correspondence must be done through the web
interface. Not a huge inconvenience to cut and paste, except I did get
hosed by an incompatibility between Opera 6.03 and their web form [wpl]
that removed all the spaces and line feeds from my email text at send and
made the message unreadable. Updating to Opera 6.11 seems to have fixed
this, though I do still have a couple of quirks and nit picks with their
user page interface and layout.