[ale] HD size limit?

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 14:25:32 EST 2003

"Robert E. Karaffa, II" <rkaraff at emory.edu> writes:

> hi joe,
>     I tried just what you suggested.  the box would still hang during bootup
> just after it recognized the boot drive.  I tried all permutations of
> telling the bios to "mind its own GD business, I'm in charge here!".  no
> dice.  I tried "none", "LBA", blah blah blah.  nothing worked.  I still
> thought that, as long as I could get it to boot, linux would take over and
> be able to format/partition the drive, but haven't got that to work.  I
> don't think it matters if the drive is slave or master (it's a maxtor) or
> even what bus it's on.  I'm still working on it.  thanks again for the
> advice.

Er. Ugh. Have you tried the BIOS upgrade that you mentioned before?

I seem to remember that Maxtor drives might have "issues" with playing
nice with other brands; maybe that's your problem. Perhaps someone
on the list has more info. You might get away with trading it in
on a similarly-sized Seagate; I had to do that a couple of months
ago. The Maxtor drive simply would not play with the other drive
in the box, a WD (but the symptoms were different than yours).

-- Joe