[ale] e-commerce

Mike Lockhart backpacker at hikers.net
Mon Jan 20 21:48:58 EST 2003

Raphael,

  To date I've built 15 e-commerce sites that incorporated catalogues,
images, and credit/check proccessing.  The easiest and most reliable
solution I've found is the following:

Slackware Linux
Apache
MySQL (don't use 4.x, use 3.23)
PHP
Authorize.net for the gateway
cURL (for authorize.net posting, compiled into PHP)

All of the sites that I have done had unique requirements that didn't
allow for the usage of a pre-built php e-commerce system, but there are
some out there that are easy (relatively speaking) to setup and
maintain.  About the only thing you'd have to do by hand is write the
interface to Authorize.net or PayflowPro (Verisign, another good gateway
service).  I believe some of these pre-built "shopping carts" have the
interfaces already built, but when it comes to processing someones card
or doing online checks, I don't trust somthing I haven't tested
extensively.  Hope this helps you out.

- mike