[ale] what log file do I need to read?

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 20 20:34:39 EST 2003

My Linux (RH 8.0) box crashed twice today: no keyboard, no
mouse -- nothing to do but hit the OFF switch.

First time the active window was OO. Rebooted without
complaining excessively.

Second time the active window was Konqueror. Could not reboot.
error reported: /usr  unexpected inconsistency;
                run fsck MANUALLY
                (i.e., without -a or -p options)

ran fsck -y /dev/md(0-5); first time through got a kernel panic
and 20 two-digit hex numbers.  Second time through fsck managed
to  repair the damage.

Am now back on line for who knows how long.

My question is this: with any luck Linux logged the problem
that caused the crash; but where to look?

Sean