[ale] pppoe router recommendations

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Jan 20 17:54:52 EST 2003

FWIW, I just got Bell$outh DSL, and still have yet to boot to Windows with
it (i.e., it seems to work w/Linux just fine).  I did report earlier about
how my telnet/ssh sessions (but not the PPPoE connection itself) would get
slammed shut if there wasn't any Internet traffic for a period of more than
30 seconds.  Turns out a simple ping to the nearest uplink router every 14
seconds is enough to keep my ssh session(s) alive.

Anyhow, I was researching this the other day a bit.  I believe the newer
Linksys gateways handle this, but look on the box and/or the website for the
PPPoE keyword before you purchase.  I think I remember Belkin using the
PPPoE phrase as well for its competing products.