[ale] HD size limit?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 20 14:19:16 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:55:10AM -0700, Joe wrote:
> "Robert E. Karaffa, II" <rkaraff at emory.edu> writes:
>
> > hi folks,
> >     I've got an old ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 mobo running mandrake 8.2 that acts as
> > an mp3 server for my home LAN.  256RAM, 5GB boot drive, 40GB storage drive.
> > problem is that the award bios limits HD size to 32GB.
>
> Don't worry about it. As long as the BIOS understands the geometry
> of the drive you *boot* from, all will be well - Linux does its
> own detection of the hardware. So boot it and run "fdisk /dev/hdb"
> (or whatever the 40G drive is) and you should be able to partition
> the entire drive.

Just to back this up with some anecdotal evidence, the box I'm typing
this message on is an ancient P120 system with a 13GB drive.  The bios
only supports hard drives up to 8GB.  It reports at boot that the hard
drive is an 8GB drive, but linux is able to use all 13GB.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9