[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jan 20 12:29:47 EST 2003

On 20 Jan 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:

<<snip>>
> > Darwin's rules should be given a bigger priority than they currently do.
> > Why?
>
> Darwin's main rule is that stupid dies. Now even in my most socially
> sarcastic moments, I think that is pretty harsh for most people to
> accept. But a good dose of reality every now and then is a healthy
> thing. If someone consistently makes "mistakes", eventually they need to
> get seriously "bit" for not thinking before acting. That is the root
> cause of mistakes.

Not to pick nits, but last I heard, Darwinian priciples had nothing to say
about "stupid", but a great deal to say about leaving offspring. Of
course, if you would like to argue that insects _must_ be more intelegent
than human beings because there are more insects alive than humans, I'll
try to listen in polite amazement.

Actually, there are probably many situations where "stupid" is smarter
than "smart". Some forms of combat, where blindly following orders is a
better policy (on average) than thinking about them come to mind.