[ale] web-cams on linux

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Sun Jan 19 11:18:30 EST 2003

OK, so we're setting up a webcam, and it came with a 1 month subscription
to some service that'll host the pics/feed at 20$/mo or something after
the free month.  From windows.

Seeing as I have linux servers and high speed dsl (and this isn't exactly
going to be mailed out to 2.5 billion people in spams :o) I figure there
must be some way I can set up the streaming feed ...

USB Logitech QuickCam Express ... I found some QuickCam drivers in the
kernel, so I'm compiling them up as modules (along with enabling
video4linux) and USB modules ... But what kind of software would I use for
either streaming it out?  And, to test the cam independent of the
streaming part, what would I use to just view it on the desktop under X ?
(X11/FVWM2)

Thanks for the help!

--attriel