[ale] diff between .a and .so files?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 18 19:41:23 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:16:50PM -0500, John Wells wrote:
> Calling on the Linux c experts...
>
> I have an app that expects a shared lib in libfilename.so.  I don't have
> the .so on my machine, but I do have a libfilename.a.
>
> Can someone explain the difference?

The .so is a shared object, or dynamic library, while the .a is a static
library.  Shared libraries are the same as DLLs: they are linked
dynamically with a program at runtime.  Static libraries are linked with
a program at compile time.

Your app was built with the expectation that the .so file would be
installed on the target box.  If you have the source, you can rebuild it
and link it statically with your .a file.  Otherwise, you will have to
install the .so file.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9