[ale] Linux sloution for document management?

Gregory C. Johnson MailReply at GregJohnson.Com
Fri Jan 17 17:44:02 EST 2003

Hello all,

First off, a thank you to all the regulars, I've
ghosted this list for years and really value all of your contributions and
insight.

I'm looking around for a solution to a crippling
problem -  The paper blizzard.   I've got literally piles of
bank/credit card statements, checks, invoices, bills, etc. etc. etc.
There's a great deal of information here, but it's all locked in a paper
box.  Every few years I get desperate enough to assault the paper
demon - Maybe this time, with your help, I'll succeed.

Politically, I'm trying to avoid a closed solution,
so I was hoping y'all might be able to point me in the right direction, or
at least to the people who can.  (Yes, I'm composing in Outlook, but
having a production desktop running *ix will help with that migration too).

I'm looking for an integrated/able
comprehensive information management solution.  I would like something
with which I can scan checks/invoices/receipts/bills and that will
archive  the original instrument, take a reasonable guess at a good
file name, match it against known templates and file it appropriately.  I'd
then like the amount due/paid to transfer into an accounting system, and
any secondary information to get propagated appropriately.
(Example:  The Nextel bill scan schedules a check, but also imports all
calls, times, durations, does a reverse address lookup, and inserts any new
contacts into the contact manager)

I would also like to be able to fax daily task
lists, then import the return fax with completion information at EOD, and
things of that nature.  All of this information should get cross-linked
with a contact manager/PIM interface, hopefully one with project management
facilities so I can log every contact interaction, assign resources, etc.

AND, I'd like to do all of this without subsidizing
the Redmondians, though I'm not adverse to spending money on a quality
product.

I know this is ridiculously ambitious, but any
help assembling bits I can piece together would be eternally appreciated.

-Greg Johnson