[ale] Mux Vs. Terminal Server (QOS)

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 17 10:28:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 13:12, cfowler wrote:

[snip]

> In other words, it will not allow one serial device such
> as a printer hog up all the bandwidth.  If terminals are to be used while
> printing then it will balance all the traffic.
>
> Digi Terminal server over a DSL link will not do this.  It *will* allow one
> device to hog all the available bandwidth.

Won't using QOS on the router between the Terminal server and DSL line
fix this problem?  I think it should, if each TS port has its own IP...

BTW, Linux QOS (atleast last time I played with it) is real cool.  I
once used it to turn an ethernet port on my Linux router at work into a
56KB max line.  Very intresting.  Unfortunately I think I may have lost
the script I wrote to set it up (it was over a year ago).

> One solution maybe to ditch the DSL and get partial T1.

Or use QOS on the DSL line...

Mike