[ale] Help from kernel-mod gurus...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 17 09:28:22 EST 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I think you have to recompile all the modules to fix this, right?  The
> modules are labeled with the kernel they were compiled for, correct?
> Haven't looked at this in a while but that sounds right from my memory.
> Dow

Generally, this is true, unless you select 'set version information on
all module symbols' when you built the kernel.  I've never done this,
but help says:

Usually, modules have to be recompiled whenever you switch to a new
kernel.  Saying Y here makes it possible, and safe, to use the
same modules even after compiling a new kernel; this requires the
program modprobe. All the software needed for module support is in
the modutils package (check the file Documentation/Changes
for location and latest version).  NOTE: if you say Y here but don't
have the program genksyms (which is also contained in the above
mentioned modutils package), then the building of your kernel will
fail.  If you are going to use modules that are generated from
non-kernel sources, you would benefit from this option.  Otherwise
it's not that important.  So, N ought to be a safe bet.

> da Black Baron wrote:
>
>> Thanx to both you guys for the info.  Worked like a charm...  Of course,
>> I had to patch my 2.4.18 kernel up to 2.4.19 first, but that was as
>> simple as applying the final patch..
>>
>> What I need to know now is how does one upgrade one's system  to refelct
>> the change from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19?  (i.e. make  everything  all cushy
>> like you'd just installed the 2.4.19 kernel from a distribution disk, so
>> that you've got your modules in /lib/modules/2.4.19, and your source
>> reside in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19?  Because after I compiled the new
>> kernel, freshly-patched to 2.4.19, and with the further patching done by
>> the .diff file discussed here, the new kernel kept complaining that the
>> mods in /lib/modules/2.4.18 were for the previous kernel image- and the
>> modules were obviously not updated since even if I linked 2.4.18 to
>> 2.4.19 it still complained...  Hmmmm...
>>
>> I'm off the the FAQ to see what I can gather on my own, but if anyone
>> knows a quick way to accomplish this, I'll be mucho grateful...

>>> Assuming you've cd'd into your kernel source directory, try
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> cat somepatch.diff | patch -p1 --dry-run
>>>
>>> patch(1) gives you more options, but assuming you don't
>>> get any rejects, try the command again without --dry-run.
>>>
>>> hth,
>>> stephen

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...