[ale] (OT) used win98 license

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 15 12:57:32 EST 2003

I think it was the inability to repurpose Win98 licenses. They are not
transferable if they came on the machine as an OEM installed OS. If you
buy (ick!) a retail Win98, you can uninstall it from machine And install
it then on machine B. But you can't resell it even if you uninstall it
from machine A. You are expressly forbidden to resell a used M$ license.

It says nothing about receiving donated old licenses. Yet, schools are
reluctant to accept donated PC's as they have to purchase a new license
for the OS from M$ even if the machine came with the original system
freshly installed and all of the paperwork and the original license.

So I use Linux.

And I actively encourage others to make to the switch.

If it won't run on my Linux systems, I don't needed it enough to justify
paying Microshaft for the privilege of watching it lock up, spy on me,
or otherwise annoy me.

Harrumphf!

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 12:34, Nick Travis wrote:
> I thought I saw something a few weeks ago about being able to buy used
> Windows 98 licenses, anyone know of somewhere I could get them?  I
> need around 10.  Thanks
>
> Nick

 This is a digitally signed message part