[ale] OT: hardware lockups, resets

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Jan 13 15:18:10 EST 2003

My brother has an Athlon slot A/Asus A7V mb system.

In the past few weeks, he's been experiencing system resets and
lockups...sometimes before he can even get into the bios.  My first
thought was a heat issue, but it happens even after the machine has been
turned off overnight.  He didn't install any new software before it
started happening that he can think of.

Could this be a power supply issue?  What would be a good trouble shooting
strategy?  I told him I would start by unplugging the harddrive, trying
it, plugging it back in if there're still freezes, and then proceed to do
the same with each card.  Course, it doesn't sound like it could be a
harddrive issue since it freezes before post has completed sometimes.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

John