[ale] esound and remote X

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Jan 11 13:21:05 EST 2003

I'm trying to run esd to forward audio from xawtv on my desktop upstairs
to my laptop downstairs.

Here're the steps I've taken:

Login with ssh -X <machine>.
Restart as "esd -tcp -port 5001 -promiscuous"
Start xawtv by running "esddsp xawtv -remote"

Here's where I draw a blank.  What program or part of the esd suite would
I need to connect to the desktop to retrieve the sound?  From the manual,
it seems esdmon "Opens the esd socket and duplicates the stream being sent
to the sound device".  Do I have to use esdmon to open the connection and
the redirect esdmon output through to my laptop's /dev/dsp?

Thanks
John